Randy and I went camping last weekend at Bartlett Lake- it was a last minute, spontaneous event! While I took care of my mom's daycare kids, Randy packed up the expedition. After the last kid left, we were off at 3pm! So many things happened on this trip that would have made us irritated or complained a lot about but all we could do, really, was laugh. Here is what happened.
1. We drove 20 miles the wrong way.
1. We drove 20 miles the wrong way.
2. We got hungry- Randy probably would have gnawed on my bones- so we pulled into a really cool cowboy--style restaurant and shared a prime rib (plus side).
3. By the time we got to our campsite, we were low on gas. Plus side- we were merely inches from the water.
4. It was twice as windy up there as it was in Phoenix- we watched our tent blow away.
5. After 10 rocks and 5 sleeping bags in our tent with the door and window open, the tent was now on its side- slowly withering away into the night.
6. Randy's fishing pole broke- he fixed it later that evening.
7. It took us 20 minutes to light up our campfire because of the wind.
8. I forgot to bring lighter fluid so we used WD-40.
9. I forgot to bring matches or a long lighter so a cigarette lighter was used.
10. I forgot to bring a propane for our lantern so we used tiny rechargable flashlights.
11. Did you notice I forgot to bring a lot of stuff?
12. We used paper towels and newspapers to light up our fire- this does NOT bode well with the wind and bushes nearby.
13. I didn't want to read our names in the newspaper the next day, stating a fire wiped out the entire Tonto National Forest and killed thousands of wildlife- all due to a paper towel.
14. Randy calmly sat in his camp chair, enjoying being a pyro while I was frantically stomping on the newspapers that flew away into the bushes.
15. I told Randy the next morning it was 11am when it really was 8am. I loved his eyes opening wildly before I told him I was kidding.
16. We went canoeing as well as fishing. No bites. No one else at the campsites pretty much got any bites.
17. Plus side- it was nice weather!
18. I don't like currents taking us to unknown places or into curves around the lake where you can't see what's around the corner. C'mon now...there could be a waterfall! :)
19. Whenever we got too close to the "unknown place," I'd paddle away with our oars. Finally, I just gave up and let the current take us. It was beautiful!
20. Plus side- there was a tree in the middle and we eventually wound up underneath it- ended up having our lunches underneath that tree. :)
21. We packed up our canoe, fishing poles, everything else, and drove to another place a few inches down the road, took out a sleeping bag and took a nap this far from the water. [ ]. Yeah. We were that close. Heavenly.
22. I had been going to the bathroom pioneer style. I.E. trees. As we drove away the next morning, I found a porta potty within feet away from us.
23. Filled up on gas right away when we got into town.
24. We came home, unpacked, and watched the rest of conference.
All in all, I can say it was a trip well-worth it! Everyone needs a trip like this. :)
Here are pictures- unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera and Randy didn't tell me he had his camera until the next morning- so no pictures of our fire or our tent.
We brought more food but ate them before this picture was taken.
Our cooler we brought with us in the canoe.
Randy enjoying my everything bagels with cream cheese :)

Above- our tree! Below- our campfire the next morning.
Randy tying up the canoe
Waking up from a beautiful nap
I just love his smile and laughter in this one :)
1 comment:
Hey your camping trip was more of a success than mine was! At least you remembered your tent!
Post a Comment