Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I've been cooking quite a bit with our food storage lately and it's been a really fun and learning experience. Last week, Tina and I drove together to the cannery, met a few ward members there, and we all helped out in the cannery, distributing items, packing them into #10 cans, sealing them, etc. On that day, I ordered some cans of dehydrated apple slices and some of potato flakes. So far, we have potato flakes, apple slices, lots of sugar, lots of macaroni, lots of all kinds of beans, nonfat dry milk, lots of red wheat and white rice. Everytime I go to the grocery store, I look for sales in canned food. Usually they'll have ten cans for $10 and so each time, I get a variety. I have a few packets of active dry yeast that I use regularly for honey rolls (YUM!) but I thought it'd be nice to have a few extras for food storage- yeast is usually on sale. Today, I made applesauce from the apple slices and it is really good, except for the fact my second batch exploded all over me in the blender but that's a different story. We're running out of potatoes so once we do, I can start using the potato flakes. I'm excited for all this- I've found a few websites that caters only to food storage recipes! I'll share them later. Also, I've heard a lot about www.grocerygame.com so I think I'll try out the free month trial. Has anyone used it before? I'm open to ideas regarding food storage, etc.

No comments: