Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mount Vernon

waiting in line- found a bench to sit on!
George Washington's home


George and his wife, Martha's tomb
"Within this Enclosure Rest the remains of Gen. George Washington."
He looked RIGHT at me and it freaked me out a little :)
Beautiful potomac river! Good ol' Washington had some amazing views!



It was a lot of fun being at Mount Vernon and with beautiful weather too! It's only a half hour away from us so that was great. We wanted to do the National Treasure Tour but it got booked within 15 minutes of opening so that was nuts! If you have watched National Treasure, you'll know that the guy kidnaps the president when they're in the undergrounds of Mount Vernon, walking through a bunch of tunnels. Wouldn't that be awesome to see? Anyways, we'll come back again when we get some visitors! It's definitely a lot of walking so bring a water bottle and good walking shoes. We were fine but I get pooped out easily nowadays so I had to sit down here and there! George Washington was amazing. He had very little education because his father died while he was young so he worked to get money for his family while saving for himself. He went through a lot of troubles financially but worked through it- he was a honest and hard worker who loved the people around him. He cared for the slaves that he owned and in his will, he requested that once his wife, Martha, dies, all the slaves be freed. Martha didn't wait until she died- she freed the slaves a year after Washington's death. It was interesting seeing all the gardens that he grew- where they were, what he grew, etc. It also made me think about how they did all those- we saw all the equipment of every labor that occured there, their kitchen, etc. and how they got by. They didn't have technology or stuff then so I learned a lot of very interesting things! I think Randy and I will be okay if we ever lose technology, our toaster, oven, microwave, washer and dryer (but I prefer not to lose those!), and more. Go Washington!

1 comment:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Love all the pictures! The boys would love the National Treasure tour. That is one of their favorite movies!