Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Before & After

Sorry about the first picture being blurry- it was taken with my camera phone when we first got it. All right, this is a china hutch! I had wanted one for a while and finally decided to start looking around. I looked at places, including craigslist. I faithfully looked on craigslist for a few days, looking for a good deal as well as a good price. I found this for $25! We checked it out and took it home with us :) I don't think Randy ever drove as slow as he did that night :) It was green with I think what was cherry wood molding. I knew I wanted to change the color eventually but stuck with the original for a while. A few weeks later, Randy's birthday came up and I was planning a barbeque with our friends for his birthday. We started talking about the hutch and decided to go ahead and start changing it! We figured it'd be good to have a deadline (the barbeque). Going back and forth on what we should do, we settled on a glossy black. The other option was all white with colored fabric on the back walls- maybe I'll do that in a few years :) We took out some things- the wooden dowels on the top shelf- we found a use for it in our house- it's now hanging up in our entryway, holding our keys :) We already had hooks and just screwed them in. Anyways, back to the hutch. We, and when I say we, I mean Randy painted it. I wanted to desperately but he wouldn't let me because of the pregnancy. He started painting Wednesday night. Did a few coats of both and finished it all by Friday afternoon! What a guy- he worked so hard! The barbeque was Saturday night so perfect timing.I wasn't liking the knobs and it definitely clashed with the black so I went to HD and got nickle knobs on sale- it made all the difference! We kept the lights inside so whenever we want to light up the inside, we just flip the switch inside the hutch. The pink glass dish you see on the bottom shelf was bought from Home Goods for 5 bucks. I look around occasionally at thrift stores, TJ Maxxs, and Home Goods for items to put in the hutch. My misson right now is to find gold candlesticks. I love that I now have extra storage in my kitchen cabinets since I transferred alot of our nice dishes to the hutch. I definitely need to get child locks on the bottom doors- Penelope now knows where I keep my china dishes and likes to take them out. :) I love my china hutch!!