You are now reading the blog of the newest member addition to the Mary Kay family. Yesh!! I am now an independent beauty consultant. I'll be doing 1-2 shows a month on the side, with my phlebotomy job (if I ever get one) and school. I signed on this week with one of the most amazing and funniest women ever. I am amazed at how real she is and how comfortable she is around me. I knew so much about her after we first met then I ever did about a boy on a first date. Well....almost. ;-). So if anyone wants a representative for Mary Kay, if you're interested in our products, and/or you want a free facial, call me anytime! I won't be starting until next week or in two weeks because I'll be in Thatcher from tomorrow to Wednesday.
In sad news, Nancy Jenks passed away. She passed away a week before Thanksgiving and I found out when I got home from my 5k run....on Thanksgiving morning. I was really sad and so heartbroken but on the other hand, I was relieved for her. She had been suffering from liver cancer for a few years and it was getting to be really bad so....at least she's not hurting anymore. She was with me from when I was 3 years old all the way to 8th grade. She was the one who helped my parents decide how to raise me, either in the hearing world or in the deaf world. She pushed me to go far in public school and helped me learn my limitations but also, to exceed my expectations. She was a speech therapist, a pathologist, a lot of things. She was also my mentor, my guide, my friend, and the person whom my mother heard from whenever I got in trouble. Yes, Mrs. Jenks would call my mom whenever I got in trouble and tell her what I did. Sometimes I would hide it from my mom but somehow, she always knew. I remember seeing my mom sit on her chair in the kitchen with her arms folded and a serious look on her face. She then would ask, "How was school? I got a call from Mrs. Jenks" when I arrived home. Ay yi yi. She once called my mom when I threw out my hearing aids at the playground in kindergarten because "I didn't want to hear the flying airplanes no more." When Mrs. Bathgate asked me where my hearing aids were, I lied and said that my mom lost it. HAHA. Don't worry, I eventually confessed after some beckoning from Nancy and we found my hearing aids in the sand under the swings. Oh, how I loved Nancy. I was so close with her family. I went on a few dates with her son, who is 5 years my senior. I took care of her husband when he got the flu while Nancy was visiting her daughter in Colorado and couldn't fly back last minute. She was one of the few people I saw after waking up from my surgery for my implant. She made me homemade chicken noodle soup. She was there for my middle school AND high school graduation. She was there at my 8th grade spelling bee and took me out for ice cream when I got 3rd place. She took me out of my 8th grade class when I was feeling bad from menstrual cramps and her and I went shopping for an hour. That cured my cramps and I was back in school! I saw her a few times in the past few months. I knew she was going away soon but I didn't realize how soon it was going to be. I would have seen her again if I knew it was going to be this soon. I wish I had seen her more though. I scheduled for me and my ex to take her out to lunch this past summer but she canceled a few days before the lunch because she wasn't feeling too shabby at all. So instead, I packed up a picnic lunch and went to her house as a surprise the very same day she called. The next day, she was entered into hospice care.
In other words, I have TONS of pictures from my Thanskgiving weekend. Seeing the rockettes, shooting with my family, thanksgiving, my 5k run, etc. We got a new computer and unfortunately, the picture is not yet set up; we have to get some kind of software. So I'll probably set up the new pictures on Kirsten's or Jeska's computer in Thatcher.
2 comments:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about losing such a dear friend. Sounds like a second mom almost.
Thanks for sharing all those stories about yourself when you were younger, how cute! And stubborn too!
Aww! I didn't realize how close you were to her. Wow she sounds like an amazing woman. I'm glad she's at rest now.
Post a Comment